CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.

I make all of my karate students sign a competition clause

I make all of my karate students sign a competition clause that if they become a black belt assistant in my school and decide to leave school they can not open a karate school within a 50 mile radius during a minimum period of 3 years after leaving my school and if held liable are responsible for any and all of my legal fees in pursuing the matter. Will this legally hold up if one of my assistants went out and opened a school just down the road from me?

William B. Esq. :

Dear Customer, thank you for choosing Just Answer. I would like to assist you with your legal question today.

William B. Esq. :

North Carolina is a state that is particularly harsh on non-competition clauses ($File/Nc.pdf) the fact that your students (as opposed to higher level employees or partners) are being asked to sign these clauses makes them highly unlikely to be enforceable.