TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
17219180

HI there here is my question I have been approached by someone

HI there here is my question I have been approached by someone through e-mail who is claiming to be a representative of the united nations who is claiming that he is in charge of a program through the UN THAT is compensating victims of online scams-since I was a victim of an online scam there is a validity to that story--However since he has asked me for money to receive credit cards that will contain these "compensation payments"i am sure that this is a scam so I am not gonna pay him-My question though so if I ever run into this again is how do I know if somebody is officially from the United Nations?is there a ID number or employee or badge number that they must present to verify and confirm that they are from the UN?Is there a phone number you can call at the UN to verify this info?i would just like to have this info so next time I can be more well informed and just call out these scammers but also have peace of mind that I am not indeed passing up a legitimate opportunity to be compensated if that was the case

Thank you for your question. This communication is most likely from the same people who scammed you before.

First of all, the UN does not run programs like this at all, so any kind of communication claiming to be from the UN will not ever concern any program like this.

In fact, the UN will never contact you unless you have provided your contact information to the UN, and they are trying to raise funds.

In order to determine whether a communication is actually from the UN, you may contact the UN to make an inquiry at:

Public Inquiries, Visitors Services
Department of Public Information
United Nations Headquarters
Room GA-0305
New York - NY 10017
Tel:(NNN) NNN-NNNN
Fax:(NNN) NNN-NNNN

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Best Regards,
ZDN