Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992

I had a woman roll back into me at a stop sign last month.

Customer Question

I had a woman roll back into me at a stop sign last month. I got out and looked at my car and there was nothing. I told her I would let her go on her way. She said she was going to call the police and say I rear-ended her. She said I would be found at fault because she was in front of me. She said she wanted $500, the amount of her deductible. There want a tiny scratch, and once again, she rolled back into me! I foolishly wrote her a check. Yesterday, I received a form kind of letter from a Recovery/Attorney office that says I owe them $782. I had no idea what this was for. I called them and they said I was in an accident and I only got my insurance the day after the acccident (I have had insurance with this company for over 3 yeas, I might have had a renewal around that time...) If this is going to insurance I want them to know about the situation. I do not deserve this scammer filing a claim against me. Now I KNOW this is all a scam and I Googled the Recovery/Attorney office and they are known for scams. What should I do? I plan to write "I dispute these charges" on the form and send it back Certified. The formish type letter stated "we don not report to the credit agencys" All I said to the person I spoke to is that I have no idea what she is talking about. After thinking about it, I know it must be this incident.. I pay my bills and I am honest-- to a fault in this situation.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

JD 1992 :

Hello and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and I look forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification.

JD 1992 :

I need you to be a little more specific in your question(s) if you could. When we answer general ones like "what do I do" we have to give general answers and, invariably, the customer responds with "I already knew that". This type of forum works better if you ask specific questions so we know exactly what you are looking for.

Customer:

Should I call my insurance company? This seems like a scam. I just want to dispute these charges, as I should. I have 30 days to do so.

JD 1992 :

Yes, you should contact your insurance company, send the paperwork you received to them and let them handle it.

JD 1992 :

Don't talk to the other attorney any more or contact them in any way.

JD 1992 :

Your insurance company will take a statement from you and then proceed.

Customer:

Should I send them the form back with "I disupte this"? That's what the form says to do

JD 1992 :

No, just turn it over to your insurance company as well. There is nothing that requires you to send it back to them.

Customer:

I have heard nothing from my insurance company. I think I am best waiting to see if they contact me. Which I doubt they will. Do I dispute it. It says if I don't I accept the charges.

JD 1992 :

You have to be careful because your insurance policies, as do all, requires you to immediately contact them when you are notified of a claim. If you don't do so then you can waive coverage.

Customer:

They don

Customer:

Sorry, turn it into my insurance guy?

JD 1992 :

Don't worry about what the letter from the other side's attorney says. Give it to your insurance company with instructions that they are to handle it.

Customer:

Okay, what if she lies? She has already.

JD 1992 :

Yes, but keep a copy. Have your insurance person sign the copy indicating that you turned the original into him.

Customer:

Okay, so ignore the letter on the part of who sent it to me?

JD 1992 :

She apparently is lying so it is just another thing for the insurance company to address. Ignore it as far as don't respond to it yourself, let the insurance company handle it.

Customer:

Okay, thanks. Any last advice?

JD 1992 :

Just that when your insurance company takes your statement be sure and tell them everything.

Customer:

What about the fact that she threatened me and I wrote her a check for her "deductible' - boy am I foolish, does that make me somehow responsible for whatever these charges are?

JD 1992 :

It certainly doesn't help. You need to let the insurance company know that as well.

JD 1992 :

It won't make you responsible.

Customer:

Ok, no police report was filed. I have been scammed.

JD 1992 :

Yes, now it is a matter of keeping the damages from the scam as minimal as possible.

Customer:

Should I just pay this and go on? To make this go away I would pay the difference oft the $700 and the $500 so called deductible I wrote her a check for. It's too much hassle

JD 1992 :

No, you should report it to the insurance company. If you don't you're just setting yourself up for additional demands in the future.

Customer:

Okay, thanks. You did a great job! I will give you excellent feedback.

Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience: Began practicing law in 1992