Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Is a marriage in Bhutan legal in the US?

Is a marriage of US citizens in Bhutan legal in the US?

Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

Unless either party was coerced, tricked, or forced into the marriage, then the marriage valid, yes.

A US jurisdiction will normally recognize a marriage from another country provided that it was entered into willingly and shows 'comity' (i.e. fairness and does not shock the court). Hilton v. Guyot, 159 U.S. 113, 163-64 (1895).

Ergo, the marriage is seen as valid unless one of the items above is true.

Please note: I aim to give you genuine information and not necessarily to tell you only what you wish to hear. Please, rate me on the quality of my information and do not punish me for my honesty. I understand that hearing things less than optimal is not easy, and I empathize.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)