How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Roger Your Own Question

Roger, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 28797
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I got a dwi in 2008. Went to court and was charged. I did not

Resolved Question:

I got a dwi in 2008. Went to court and was charged. I did not complete my alcohol classes or community service. I was then stop on a traffic stop two yrs later and charged with driving on suspended licence. Went to court and was told I had 10 days of jail or 20 days of house arrest. I did not have a home phone line and could not get house arrest. I felt i could not afford to loss my job at the time. So I just disregarded it. Not my smartest move. It has been many yrs now and I want to clear it up. I travel with work all over the nation and always look over my shoulder for the day it catches up with me. This last yr they keep my state tax return for the accumulated fines I guess. I just keep running in fear. Any ideas of how I can get help in clearing this up. I don't have much savings but have grown up enough to answer for my crimes. Is there anyway I can handle this without going directly to jail. Set up a time to serve my sentence and or payments for council and fines. Suggestions. I'm not a kid anymore and regret all my past desicions.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. I know this is a definitely a source of worry for you.


But, the good news is that MOST of these things can be resolved without steep penalties, jail time, etc. Also, the only state you really have to be concerned about is the state in which the DWI was received because a bench warrant has likely been issued for you in that state. Bench warrants never expire, so it will be outstanding until you are picked up on it, BUT they're only enforceable within the borders of that state. So, for instance, if you received the DWI in Mississippi and now you live in Arkansas, if you never go back to Mississippi it's really unlikely that anything will ever come of it. On the other hand, if you are traveling through Mississippi 40 years from now and are stopped, go through a road block, etc., and they run your license, you'll be arrested on the spot.


Thus, it is definitely in your best interest to try and get this resolved. The best thing you can do is hire a local criminal defense attorney in the city/county where this occurred and tell him/her what is going on. Let the attorney review the file and speak to the prosecuting attorney about the case. Generally, the attorney can arrange a time for you to "turn yourself in" and be allowed to bond right back out OR go straight to court and see the judge. The judge will probably issue a fine to you, give you a suspended jail sentence and let you be on your way.


Please bear in mind that the judge could put you in jail over this for the original 10 days plus additional time for the contempt, etc., BUT that would be unusual.

That's why it's a good idea to have an attorney arrange the terms of the deal before you turn yourself in so you'll know what is going to happen.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
On a case like this. What is the standard rate I should look at paying a attorney up front to view the case. The charges are in to separate cities in the same county. Also my license is still suspended to my knowledge. How do I go about reinstating that being several yrs later. Thank you for your time.
Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.
You're probably looking at having to pay at least $1000 up front any maybe a little more to get the matter to completion. Because you're dealing with two different jurisdictions, that's why the cost will be a little higher.

Once you get these issues resolved, the hold on your license should be released and you should be able to get your license reinstated.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.
Roger, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 28797
Experience: BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Roger and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina


    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.