Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

I got a dwi in 2008. Went to court and was charged. I did not

I got a dwi in 2008. Went to court and was charged. I did not complete my alcohol classes or community service. I was then stop on a traffic stop two yrs later and charged with driving on suspended licence. Went to court and was told I had 10 days of jail or 20 days of house arrest. I did not have a home phone line and could not get house arrest. I felt i could not afford to loss my job at the time. So I just disregarded it. Not my smartest move. It has been many yrs now and I want to clear it up. I travel with work all over the nation and always look over my shoulder for the day it catches up with me. This last yr they keep my state tax return for the accumulated fines I guess. I just keep running in fear. Any ideas of how I can get help in clearing this up. I don't have much savings but have grown up enough to answer for my crimes. Is there anyway I can handle this without going directly to jail. Set up a time to serve my sentence and or payments for council and fines. Suggestions. I'm not a kid anymore and regret all my past desicions.

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. I know this is a definitely a source of worry for you.

But, the good news is that MOST of these things can be resolved without steep penalties, jail time, etc. Also, the only state you really have to be concerned about is the state in which the DWI was received because a bench warrant has likely been issued for you in that state. Bench warrants never expire, so it will be outstanding until you are picked up on it, BUT they're only enforceable within the borders of that state. So, for instance, if you received the DWI in Mississippi and now you live in Arkansas, if you never go back to Mississippi it's really unlikely that anything will ever come of it. On the other hand, if you are traveling through Mississippi 40 years from now and are stopped, go through a road block, etc., and they run your license, you'll be arrested on the spot.

Thus, it is definitely in your best interest to try and get this resolved. The best thing you can do is hire a local criminal defense attorney in the city/county where this occurred and tell him/her what is going on. Let the attorney review the file and speak to the prosecuting attorney about the case. Generally, the attorney can arrange a time for you to "turn yourself in" and be allowed to bond right back out OR go straight to court and see the judge. The judge will probably issue a fine to you, give you a suspended jail sentence and let you be on your way.

Please bear in mind that the judge could put you in jail over this for the original 10 days plus additional time for the contempt, etc., BUT that would be unusual.

That's why it's a good idea to have an attorney arrange the terms of the deal before you turn yourself in so you'll know what is going to happen.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
On a case like this. What is the standard rate I should look at paying a attorney up front to view the case. The charges are in to separate cities in the same county. Also my license is still suspended to my knowledge. How do I go about reinstating that being several yrs later. Thank you for your time.
You're probably looking at having to pay at least $1000 up front any maybe a little more to get the matter to completion. Because you're dealing with two different jurisdictions, that's why the cost will be a little higher.

Once you get these issues resolved, the hold on your license should be released and you should be able to get your license reinstated.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.