Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

I recently leased a restaurant from a Harbor which is a government

I recently leased a restaurant from a Harbor which is a government entity. The restaurant is full of equipment that I would like to have. The last tenant sent a letter to the Harbor formally abandoning the equipment. I have had and stored the equipment now for 30 days. The Harbor is going to auction the equipment next week, do I have any rights to it?

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

My apologies but you do not have any rights to the equipment. The items that were left behind would revert to the last landlord, which in this case would be the governmental entity. You would only have a right to those items if at the time of abandonment the last tenant sent notice that he wanted the items to go to the subsequent tenant. As you have no other attachment or link to these items, you cannot claim rights even if they were left behind in the restaurant space that you are leasing. My apologies but if you want those items, you would need to bid on them at auction, or contact the entity and attempt to make a private offer to see if they would be willing to accept it.

Good luck.