LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

I clicked on a free porn site on the internet, my computer

I clicked on a free porn site on the internet, my computer was blocked by an "FBI" page saying I was looking at child porn which I wasn't. The site stated I have 72 hours to pay a $300 fine or a criminal case would be initiated. Is this a scam or is this something I need to be worried about?
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good afternoon. This is a scam. Do not send them any money. This is a computer virus/spy ware, that needs to be removed from your computer. If you send the money, you will lose it and nothing will be fixed. The department of justice would never freeze or lock out your computer and ask for any payment over the internet. Here is some additional information to support what I am telling you, per the FBI.

Citadel Malware Continues to Deliver Reveton Ransomware in Attempts to Extort Money

11/30/12—A new extortion technique is being deployed by cyber criminals using the Citadel malware platform to deliver Reveton ransomware. The latest version of the ransomware uses the name of the Internet Crime Complaint Center to frighten victims into sending money to the perpetrators. In addition to instilling a fear of prosecution, this version of the malware also claims that the user’s computer activity is being recorded using audio, video, and other devices.

As described in prior alerts on this malware, it lures the victim to a drive-by download website, at which time the ransomware is installed on the user’s computer. Once installed, the computer freezes and a screen is displayed warning the user they have violated United States Federal Law. The message further declares that a law enforcement agency has determined that a computer using the victim’s IP address has accessed child pornography and other illegal content.

To unlock the computer, the user is instructed to pay a fine using prepaid money card services. The geographic location of the user’s PC determines what payment services are offered. In addition to the ransomware, the Citadel malware continues to operate on the compromised computer and can be used to commit online banking and credit card fraud.

This is not a legitimate communication from the IC3, but rather is an attempt to extort money from the victim. If you have received this or something similar do not follow payment instruction.

It is suggested that you:

File a complaint at www.IC3.gov;
Keep operating systems and legitimate antivirus and antispyware software updated; and
Contact a reputable computer expert to assist with removing the malware.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.