Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

I own my condo in Broward county and have an uncomfortable

I own my condo in Broward county and have an uncomfortable roommate situation and I want him out. We are arguing ,he doesnt have a job like he said he did and is late with the rent.Currently he owes me money for the month of June. I'am a bit afraid for my personal safety. He has disposed of some of my belongings without my knowledge or consent.Can I lock him out? There is no written lease.
How can I proceed.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

Is he listed on the lease agreement or is the lease solely in your name? You mentioned that he owes you money--do you sublease to him or do you share rent? If the latter, is that in writing?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There is no lease agreement at all. I own the condo and it's in my name.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

HE is not listed on any agreement and it is solely in my name.

Thank you for your follow-up.

In that situation you are describing an oral tenant agreement, making you the landlord and making him the tenant. To get him out you cannot utilize 'self-help' such as barring access, changing the locks, interfering with his property, shutting off utilities, and the like. Instead, he is entitled to a written notice to quit the premises. He is entitled to 30 days notice if he is not in violation of terms, and if you wish to evict him due to non-payment, then he is entitled to 3 days notice: here is the statute that would govern.

Then, if the notice is ignored and he does not pay rent, you could take the notice to court and file for a formal eviction process against him. Just please do not lock him out, that will give him a reason to potentially file suit against you for his damages and pursue punitive damages against you.

Good luck.