How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Roger Your Own Question

Roger, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 28797
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We rented some large equipment about 3 weeks ago. When the

Resolved Question:

We rented some large equipment about 3 weeks ago. When the company picked the equipment back up the guy told my husband that he would need to stop in and pay the $25 in taxes for the rental. Well he forgot to do it that day and then had to leave the next day to go out of town for work so obviously couldn't pay it then. He has been home for about a week now and we had forgotten about it again. We recieved a court summons today. The owner of the company is trying to sue us for for $700.97. The complaint reads "Rented a machine, kept it an extra day, exceeded deposit and never paid balance on return, or numerous calls to pay or the bill will be turned over for collection" Requests the following reads " The cost exceeding the deposit, plus any applicable fees related to the rental contract as agreed to by the customer in the amount of $700.97 plus court cost and interest after judgement." My husband had paid the deposit of $200 which was the cost of a day rental for the machine. When he called and told them he needed it for an extra day they said that was fine they would just use the deposit money for the extra day rental. We did receive a letter from them saying we owed the $25 and that was all so I am not sure where the $700 is coming from. The machine was returned the same way we received it and filled with gas as the company requested. My husband called the company today and they said they would take a $325 settlement but WHY should be have to pay anymore than the $25 and maybe a little bit of interest for it being late ? We don't know if we should pay the settlement or let it go to court.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.
Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a litigation attorney. Thanks for your question, but I'm sorry for your trouble.

If your husband only got a bill for the $25 that was due with NO OTHER charges assessed, then that should definitely be all he owes at this point. HOPEFULLY, your husband has the bill to prove that's all he ever got.

Also, the creditor would have to PROVE to the judge that these other expenses were incurred, charged to you and actually represent amounts due under the agreement you have with the rental company. If the company can't validate or prove the charges are proper, then they should not stand.

As an initial mater, your husband could inform them that he's willing to settle the claim, but he wants an itemized list of charges to make sure the charges are correct. If they aren't willing to do that, then it's probably because they know the charges are bogus -- which means they would likely have no way to prove any of this if you went to court.

Thus, how to proceed likely depends on what they provide upon your request for an accounting of the charges.
Roger, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 28797
Experience: BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Roger and 7 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't think we still have the bill because we knew we owed it so didn't really see a point in keeping it. Without that do we even have a chance at winning this case ? Also one last question what does exceeded the deposit mean in this case ?

Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.
Hi -
Sure, you still have a chance at winning the case because the company has to prove that these amounts are due and payable from your husband. They must account for every charge. If they can't prove the charge is valid, or point to a provision in the contract/purchase order/lease agreement, etc., then it will be hard to sustain the claimed charge.

The deposit should mean money that you pay up front that is either applied to the bill or returned to the customer upon return of the item leased. Of course, the lease agreement could have some other specific provision or direction for what will come of the deposit.
Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.
Hi -

I was checking in to see if you have any additional questions. If so, please let me know. Thanks.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina


    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.