TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
17219180

Can I sue my property management company?

Can I sue my property management company for not managing my property? There are several issues: first they failed to evict the deadbeat tenant that eventually destroyed my house which is costing me thousands to repair; second, they charged me for repairs but never verified the repairs were done correctly (some were not done at all), when I asked them about it, I was told that if I had an issue, I could take it up with the repair/ service personnel. I asked for the repair/ service personnel contact information and it was not provided; third, there was an accident at the property and the property manager was non-responsive, no one was available to meet with the insurance adjuster- I had to come from out of state to meet the insurance adjuster. It was two weeks after the accident before they visited the property (that was located about three miles from their office) and that was because I became irate. Do I have a case or do I have to just accept the situation??

Thank you for your question.
It sounds like you definitely have a case against your property manager for breach of contract and negligence. You will be able to recover as damages the amount of money that was loss as a direct consequence of the property manager's failure to act. So, in this case, the damage that was done by the deadbeat tenant may be partially recovered when you show that the property manager had a duty to inspect the property and make sure it was in a good condition and that the they are responsible for the damage that occurred after the date you show they should have evicted the tenant.