Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.

ok my son and his ex girlfriend are in the middle of leaving

ok my son and his ex girlfriend are in the middle of leaving each other a child is involved but my question is she was given 15 days to leave his house and she took a lot of things MY things that my son had borrowed from me to use one was a rental argon tank for a welder ..she made off with about $4k of my things.. what can I do?
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 1 year ago.

TexLawyer :

Good evening. I'll be assisting you with your question.

TexLawyer :

Just so I have this correct, your son had some of your things at his house, and when he and his girlfriend broke up, she took some of those items. Is that correct?

Customer:

Hello I tried to get back to you on your web page but I could not but yes I had some expensive tools there that my son borrowed from me to use and she took them one item was a argon tank That I rent for my welder which she also took (~$1500).. what are my options? she also took my snow blower (~$ 16 00) and chain saw(~$400) .

TexLawyer :

Hi. Sorry for the technical difficulties. It appears that we keep missing each other. Is there a time you can be online so we can continue this chat?

Customer:

hello sure umm I am on right now or I will be on at about 10 pm tonight eastern Thanks

Customer:

still here

Customer:

still here

TexLawyer :

Hello.

TexLawyer :

Are you able to see my responses?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

hi

TexLawyer :

Great.

TexLawyer :

There are a few things you can do in a situation like this.

Customer:

ok

TexLawyer :

Are you willing to involve law enforcement in this, or will that be too difficult on your son?

Customer:

no he actually told me to do so

TexLawyer :

That should be your first step. She has committed theft, and the police will be able to recover your property without you having to incurr costs. So, if you can get it done that way, it will be the fastest and cheapest.

Customer:

ahh ok

TexLawyer :

If that doesn't work, you will have to file suit on your own in small claims court. Small claims court is designed for people to be able to do it on their own without an attorney, but it will be time consuming and require you to start a lawsuit.

Customer:

ok that's another option

TexLawyer :

You will be filing a civil theft or fraud lawsuit. Many of the forms you will need can be found here:

Customer:

cool thanks

TexLawyer :

Also, here is a good informational tool on how to file a lawsuit in magistrate court in Penn. http://www.pabar.org/clips/bringingsuitBeforeDJ.pdf

Customer:

ok

TexLawyer :

Those are your two basic options. Again, if you can get the police involved, things will move much quicker and more efficiently for you, so pursue that first.

TexLawyer :

You just have to be willing to see her convicted of theft, which can be a tricky situation in relationship related disputes like this, especially where they share a child together.

Customer:

that sounds good I am really concerner about the argon tank I rent for my welder .. I guess I am resposibale to the rental company for that

TexLawyer :

You would have to check your contract. You may not be responsible for theft.

Customer:

well my ex is in joint custody of the child she was taking drugs that's why my son is leaving her and trying to get full custody but that's another thing I guess

Customer:

but I will take your advice make a list of things she took and go talk to the police

TexLawyer :

Yes, that would be a good first step. You may have to be persistent with the police. Sometimes they try not to get involved in relationship disputes, but you just have to keep at them.

Customer:

yes it seems like they only like to get involved if they can make money on it .. lol

TexLawyer :

Sometimes that can be true.

Customer:

ok well I guess you have given me the info I needed and thanks a lot!

TexLawyer :

My pleasure!

TexLawyer :

If there isn't anything else I can do for you, please remember to "rate" my answer before you go. Have a great night.

Customer:

ok have a good one

TexLawyer :

Also, if you have any questions in the future, you can direct them to me by posting a question to my profile or posting a question with "this question is for TexLawyer" in the title. http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-texlawyer/

Customer:

ok!

TexLawyer :

Have a great evening! If that's all I can do for you, please don't forget to "rate" my answer (that's how I get credit for my work).

TexLawyer :

Can I do anything else for you?

Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience: Experienced in both state and federal court.
Hi! I just wanted to follow up with you and see if the police were able to make any headway with your case. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!