Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

I live in TN and have a question about health insurance. I

I live in TN and have a question about health insurance. I provide Cigna medical insurance for my family thru my employer. Our daughter (who turned 18 Aug/2012) moved out of our home in January. We have had no contact with her since that time and provided no assistance to her but she is still on our insurance plan. This month she has incurred several medical bills, obviously with copays due the providers (such as deductibles and coinsurance amounts). I was not aware of this until I received the EOB statements from my insurance company. Although we have no contact with her I would like to keep her on my insurance after this year, but ONLY if we (her parents) are not responsible for any co-pays. Cigna tells me that because she is 18 that the providers should bill her directly and that we are not responsible even though it is our health insurance plan, but told us to check with an attorney to be sure. Is this correct?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

If your daughter is now 18, she is considered an adult and liable for her own bills. Even though she is on your health insurance plan, this does not make you responsible for paying her healthcare bills unless you have signed with the doctors or hospitals agreeing to be liable as a guarantor of those bills. Just because it is your insurance does not make you liable for paying her bills as an adult if you have not signed agreeing to be liable.

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.