Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

just got fired from job yest. with knowledge of probable medicare

just got fired from job yest. with knowledge of probable medicare fraud. in trying to point out concern fri, was released tues. is there possible restitution and stopping of this from company?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

If you have proof of medicare or medicaid fraud and you do file a report of this fraud and such fraud is indeed discovered, then as the party who made the report you are entitled to a "reward" in the form of compensation up to the amount of money they found was being defrauded. This is called a "qui tam" action and it does require an attorney to represent you (one of the few suits where it is mandatory to have an attorney).

The first thing you have to do is file your complaint with the state medicare office or attorney general's office and get an investigation started. Only if the investigation is substantiated and fraud is found are you then able to seek to recover under the qui tam action.

As far as recovering from the company, absent any written contract to the contrary, you were an at will employee and in order to have grounds to sue the employer for wrongful termination you must prove you reported the medicare fraud to them before they terminated you and that you were terminated based on your reporting of such fraud (or at least circumstantial evidence that the termination was based on that reporting of fraud) as then it would be considered a retaliatory discharge and that is a claim you would first file with the EEOC and they have to issue a right to sue letter.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.