Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer

ok , on may 4th I gave my car(which was not insured) to a friend

ok , on may 4th I gave my car(which was not insured) to a friend named Gabe, to drive to his house. on his way home he stopped at Walgreen pharmacy , as he was pulling out of the parking lot , another truck pulled out and hit him on the left quarter panel and the damage was over $2000 based on the estimate we got. the guy came out of the truck apologizing saying "it's my fault , it's my fault ever since I put a canopy on the truck I can't see clearly in the back, here's my insurance information" gave Gabe the insurance information and left. Then Gabe called insurance information to open a claim gave them his statement and then insurance got the statement from the person the hit our car and now waited for a payment to fix my car. instead of the payment we have received a letter from his insurance company requesting information from my insurance(owner of the car hit) and also stating that we are at 50% fault and that both drivers supposed to look before they pulled out from the parking lot. i, as an owner of the vehicle that got hit, got a letter saying that i am responsible for 50% of the repair of the truck, of the person that hit my car. i was not the driver at the time of the accident. i thought that was the most ridiculous thing i ever heard, they are coming after the owner of the vehicle not after the driver that drove the vehicle at the time of the accident. it is clear that the guy with the truck hit my car , Gabe didn't hit his truck yet they are requesting the owner of the vehicle to pay for the damages on this guy's truck . what right's do i have in this case ??? what does the law say ??? thank you
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

What state do you live in?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

oregon

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

state of Oregon, city of Portland. thank you so much

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.

Under Oregon law, the owner of a motor vehicle is not liable for damages caused by an authorized driver, unless they are members of the same family, or there is some reason that the car owner should have known that the person was not fit to drive (for example, if a person sees someone drinking before loaning them a vehicle or knows that a person has a history of car accidents). The other car owner could sue your friend for half the damages to his car, and you could sue him for half the damages to yours, but you are not legally responsible for the damages to the other car.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience: Lawyer