Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I am located in Pennsylvania. Currently I am looking to merger

I am located in Pennsylvania. Currently I am looking to merger another medical practice with mine. The owner as given me an analyzes of the practice and a profit/loss statement.
There is one associated in this potential practice that I am going to buy.
The associate does not have a noncompete clause. They are not happy and just want to join my practice. If I walk away from the deal can the associate join my practice. Does the owner have any legal grounds to come after me or the associate? I have not signed anything with the owner at this time.
Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a litigation attorney. Thanks for your question.

If there's no non-compete agreement that you or this associate is subject to, then that should greatly reduce any potential liability. If there's no non-compete, then there should be no legal basis to sue over this associate joining you. There still could be an issue with trade secrets being used by the associate IF that's even possible. Generally, that would be using patient lists or some other type of confidential information from that other practice.

As long as that doesn't happen, you should be fairly safe from legal exposure.