Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.

I signed a contract with a home security alarm company 8 months

I signed a contract with a home security alarm company 8 months ago at my home in Illinois
I was told at that time that if I sold the house AND THE NEW OWNER WANTED TO TAKE OVER THE REST OF THE THREE YEAR CONTRACT, that the contract could be transferred. I do not believe that wording is in writing in the contract. (I am in Ill for the summer and the contract is in AZ). I sold the home and moved to AZ. The new owner tried to take over the contract, but was told that the alarm company lost their license in Illinois and that prevented him from taking over the contract. I called the alarm company and they told me that they do offer the contract transfer option to their customers VERBALLY, but since they are no longer licensed in Illinois I can buy out the remaining contract for $1000, or have a new alarm system installed in my home in AZ for a fee and then finish out the contract.

Am I liable for the $1000?
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good morning. No, you are not liable to the alarm company. They are in default because they are no longer licensed in Illinois. That means they can not legally operate within the State of Illinois. Thus, you are no longer obligated under their agreement and can terminate with no obligation to pay them another dime.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help! For easy access, my bookmark is: