Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.
45002201

In Michigan my ex lawyer alleges an oral contract with me,

In Michigan my ex lawyer alleges an oral contract with me, is it subject to the Statute of frauds or any other statute?

TexLawyer :

Good evening. I'll be assisting you with your question.

TexLawyer :

Yes, any contract is subject to the statute of frauds.

TexLawyer :

Can you tell me a little more about the agreement?

TexLawyer :

Let me be more specific, any contract for the sale of goods is subject to the statute of frauds.

Customer: There was no agreement in writing he is alleging a breach of an oral contract...I would like to use the Michigan statute of frauds
Customer: To dti
Customer: To strike down his motion for summary disposition
Customer: Or some other statute that pertains to services or oral contracts
TexLawyer :

Was there a length of time given for your attorney client relationship?

Customer: No
Customer: Why?
TexLawyer :

I ask because one of the types of contracts that must be in writing are contracts that are over a year in duration.

Customer: Right no it was not over one year. What about statutes or case law relating to oral contracts?
TexLawyer :

The only Michigan statute that requires contracts to be in writing is the statute I've provided above. Let me look into a few things. It will only take a moment.

TexLawyer :

I'll look for something, but I know that generally speaking, oral contracts for services are binding.

Customer: Ok what constitutes an oral contract?
Customer: What are the elements and how does one determine that a meeting of the minds has occurred.
TexLawyer :

The elements of an oral contract are no different than a written contract. They are 1) offer; 2) acceptance; 3) consideration, 4) mutuality of obligation

TexLawyer :

Mutuality of obligation is another way to state "meeting of the minds."

TexLawyer :

It is basically that both parties agree and understand what they are agreeing to. They must be agreeing to the same thing at the same time.

Customer: What constitutes a breach?
TexLawyer :

So if you and the attorney did not agree to the same thing, or at least have the same understanding of the agreement, there was not an enforceable contract.

TexLawyer :

A breach is one party not living up to the terms. What is a breach largely depends on the contract.

Customer: Let's say he did not follow my instructions for his dealing with the opposing counsel?
Customer: And subsequently ran up his fees?
TexLawyer :

In a situation like that, you would likely have an argument against those fees, as they were not authorized by you and, if there had been in a contract, they would not have been within its scope.

Customer: Ahhh, is their a law, statute or case(s) that cover this?
TexLawyer :

Also, you can argue that there was not a contract because there was never a meeting of the minds. You could argue that you understood the agreement to hold that you would be allowed to determine how to deal with opposing counsel.

Customer: Nice, what if he wrote that he discussed his & my fee arrangement with opposing counsel on three separate occasions without my being present would this potentially be considered a breach of the attorney client privilege ?
TexLawyer :

Potentially, yes. Anything you say to your attorney that is related to your case is protected communication.

Customer: Would I be able to request an evidentiary hearing to explore this potentiality?
TexLawyer :

You could. You could also make a report to the state bar.

TexLawyer :

Just so you don't get your expectations up, you should not expect much to come of that breach. A court would likely view it as a "harmless" breach.

Customer: Unless I could show that it altered his disposition regarding how he would prosecute the balance of the case?
TexLawyer :

In theory, yes, but I would advise against it. You should focus your arguments where they will do the most good: attacking the supposed oral contract. You don't want to dilute your arguments with rabbit trails that are very unlikely to pan out in your favor.

Customer: Ok one final question if he filled a motion on my behalf and did not defend that motion before the judge but in fact "torpedod" it before the judge and then after the court appearance supplied me with a michigan appeals court case that supported the motion would this be considered negligence
TexLawyer :

Potentially, yes. It could possibly be attorney malpractice.

TexLawyer :

It really depends on the nature of the hearing and what impact it had on the overall outcome of the case.

Customer: Ok, Let me elaborate, I asked him if there was case law supplying throwing out from the custodial home my ex-new livin lover
Customer: He said their maybe.
TexLawyer :

If there was case law clearly supporting your position and he failed to discover it, that is legal malpractice.

Customer: During the hearing he said to the Judge unprompted that the JOD doesn't have a non cohabitation clause
Customer: And opposing counsel agreed and then the judge agreed so the judge moved on the 2nd part of the motion regarding a reduction in spousal support
Customer: Two days later he emails me a case from the michigan court of appeals that supports the judge has the say in who can be present in the home during parenting time.
Customer: Even without a non cohabitation clause
TexLawyer :

OK. If there was case law clearly supporting your position, you have a malpractice claim that is, at a minimum, worth exploring.

TexLawyer :

I don't think I will be able to make a fair evaluation just based on a few chats.

Customer: Good thank you how doI save this dialogue?
TexLawyer :

It will always be accessible through your profile. It won't disappear once this chat is over.

TexLawyer :

Can I do anything else for you?

Customer: Perhaps tomorrow I need to file an anwer to his motion for summary disposition or a motion to stike. How may I chat again with you?
TexLawyer :

After you "rate" this answer, you can post a new question directly to me using this link: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-texlawyer/