Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

when a man passes away is his wife responsible for his credit

when a man passes away is his wife responsible for his credit card debt.
she was not on that account.
can they demand immediate payment from his wife because of his death.
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
Was wife listed as an authorized user of the account?
.
Or did she have nothing to do whatsoever with the account?
.
Are there any assets in his estate?
.
.
Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no she was not a signer on the account.

no assets

Ok, if wife wasn't on the account at all, since FL is not a community property state, the wife would have no legal responsibility for paying the debt that was incurred solely by husband. The creditor would have to proceed against husband's estate in order to be able to recover on the debt.
.
If there is no estate or there are no assets in it, wife can send the letters back along with a copy of the death certificate stating there is no estate or it is insolvent and there are no assets to pay creditors.
.
If the creditors tell the wife that she has to pay, they are just trying to bluff her into doing so.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.