TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs

hi there I got a paper saying there was a complaint filed and

hi there I got a paper saying there was a complaint filed and that I need to show up and state my case or if not the person wins and I have to pay what ever judgments he is asking for. why question is if I go and they said I did fraud or what ever it is even thou I agrees to pay what ever money is owed since this was a company to company thing if I can face jail time or just pay whatever amount back

Thank you for your question.

If you have been sued civilly and are found liable for fraud, the court will not punish you with a prison sentence in connection with the civil trial.

However, if you admit to criminal activity during the civil trial, the district attorney can prosecute you based on that admission. If you are being sued for fraud, which could be considered as embezzelement or theft, then it would be wise to hire an attorney to defend you and provide you with counsel so that you do not make any criminal admissions while in court. For instance, there are times when you should assert your 5th Amendment right against self-incrimination in response to a question by the Plaintiff. If you do not know this, you might prejudice your own rights.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Best Regards,