Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

Im not sure if anyone there can answer my question, but here

I'm not sure if anyone there can answer my question, but here goes: My insurance company, Anthem Blue Cross, just raised my health insurance 26% from $1544/ mo. to $1948/ mo. I make around $60k/ yr. I am on a high risk policy due to a kidney transplant in 2003. I am in California, the Insurance Commissioner here has no authority to regulate rates, as I understand it. My question is whether or not I will be able to reduce my premiums under the Affordable Care Act.

Thank You
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Unfortunately, under the Affordable Care Act, this has become an unintended consequence. What I mean by that is that insurance companies are all raising their rates now because the law does not prevent them from doing so. The law does not prevent the insurance company from raising the rates as they have done and there is no provision mandating they have to lower the rates I am afraid (unlike some politicians initially claimed to get this law passed, it contains no provisions for lowering rates on these policies I am sorry to say).

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO XXXXX CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.