Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

I need to stop a garnishment that is over the amount granted

I need to stop a garnishment that is over the amount granted in a judgement . The judgement was for $16,000 and the insurance company received a garnishment . At this writing BCBS has withheld over $25,000, where do I go from here since BCBS does not respond to my PC

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

Have you calculated the amount that was withheld to ensure that it is incorrect? For example addition costs such as an interest rate on the owed funds as well as expenses from collecting the judgment can likewise be added to the garnishment, which would necessarily grow the amount that the judgment holder would collect. I am not stating this is what occurred here, but it may help to first calculate out whether or not this was the situation. Otherwise what yo would need to do is file a petition with the court that authorized the garnishment and seek a motion to terminate garnishment based on the garnishment being wholly paid at this time. You should be able to obtain a template from your courthouse library that you could then modify for your own use. But I urge you that before you file review the documentation. Almost always the difference here is based on costs for collections, attorney fees, and the interest owed on the debt which then affects your full outstanding balance.

Good luck.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

All the money has been paid from the last judgement. There has been an additional judgement without my knowledge that the attorney did not communicated to me and I thought the case was completed after the last payment.
How can this attorney keep filing for money without my knowledge?

Frustrated and angry...I do not take this well or take anything when I feel wronged

Ingrid peterson

You mentioned a second judgment. When did that take place and when did you find out about it?