Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

father in minnesota wants to see child..i left the father in

father in minnesota wants to see child..i left the father in minnesota 1 year ago moved to new jersey..the father was convicted of a felony of hitting the child.Also has a record of domestic abuse (hitting me) .I live in new jersy with my fiancee father never signed birth certificate or paid child support.
question 1 do i need to file for custody in new jersey? been living here a year
question 2 can the father get custody or visitation?
question 3 if the father files for parentage and custody in minnesota is that the court that would be used or would it be where i live in new jersey?
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

I am sorry for your situation. Can you please tell me if there are currently child custody/support orders from the Court in place between you and the father? Or not?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no there is nothing in place no right of parentage no signed birth certificate by the father no child support

Thank you for your clarification, J.

At this point, because he is not on the birth certificate nor has he filed an affirmation of paternity with the state, he is not a legal father, per se. In other words, at this point, he has no legal right to the child and may be denied access to the child.

He always has the option to file to have visitation rights assigned, although that does not guarantee that he would be granted this right. Allow me to explain.

According to the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction And Enforcement Act, since you have been living in NJ for 6 months or more and no prior custody matter exists/has existed, NJ has jurisdiction so he would have to file in NJ.

He can try. The Court decides on custody based on the rule of thumb of "best interest of the child." This includes, but is not limited to, general stability of the parent, financial stability, indoctrination of the child in the current school and environment, household condition and living condition of the child, other persons living in the house, etc. The courts generally do not like to split the custody 50/50 since this is hard on the child unless both parents agree and as for this.

One parent usually becomes the custodian and the other parent becomes the "visiting" parent which is generally one day a week, every other weekend, and alternating holidays. If the parents live far apart, an equivalent order but with fewer (yet longer) visitation periods may be rendered. The nuanced points of the custody can either be decided by the parties or the Court, if the parties cannot come to an agreement.

Even if a parent does not get managing custody, they are almost guaranteed visitation unless they have a drug problem, alcohol dependency, or an unsafe home environment. Abuse and or neglect of the child or previous children are an almost automatic bar for even visitation, although supervised visitation may be granted by the Court. Given that the child has been with you all this time and his past, the Court is unlikely to switch custody without a compelling reason so the child is very, very likely to remain with you. Considering his past, he may get supervised visitation for a few hours a week, perhaps, at first.

Of course, that is the standard order of possession. That order can be modified if both parties agree or if the Court finds that it is an extraordinary situation.

Note that he would also have to pay child support - see here.

No, it would be NJ that has proper jurisdiction. It matters where the child lives, and if the child has lived in NJ for 6+ months, then NJ has proper jurisdiction. If he files in MN, that custody matter may then be quashed, or, transferred to NJ upon your request to the Court.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Good luck.

Please note: I aim to give you genuine information and not necessarily to tell you only what you wish to hear. Please, rate me on the quality of my information and do not punish me for my honesty. I understand that hearing things less than optimal is not easy, and I empathize.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

trhank you well done

My pleasure.