Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.
45002201

We currently have an open foreclosure case on my old home.

We currently have an open foreclosure case on my old home. Neither my ex or I live in it. We are trying to get a short sale offer approved. My question is... we were divorced during this process... what notice do I need to use in order to let the court and the attorneys know? I plan on filing a notice of change of address but I also want them to know our divorce is final as well.

TexLawyer :

Good morning. I'll be assisting you with your question.

TexLawyer :

Really, the name of the notice document you file is not all that important. Many pro se litigants get caught up in picking the "right" motion. In reality, the court is more concerned with the content than the name.

TexLawyer :

As such, you can call it really anything that describes what it is. I'd probably go with something like "notice of dissolution of marriage"

Customer:

Ok... and just notate the date it was finalized... and submit to the clerk of the court and the attorney?

TexLawyer :

Yes. Just give the court and attorneys notice of the date the divorce became final. That will impact how the equity is divided up.

Customer:

Ok I thought it might be important especially since they are filing a motion of default on him because he didn't answer the lis pendens

TexLawyer :

It is important that you file the motion, but what you call it isn't as important as its content. Just be sure to give it a name that accurately describes what it is.

Customer:

Ok I will type it up today and get it filed... thank you for your help... I figured it would be something simple...:-)

TexLawyer :

And yes, the date is very important.

TexLawyer :

Glad to help!

TexLawyer :

Can I do anything else for you?

Customer:

nope... just wish Fannie Mae would finish this silly thing so it would be done :-) have a great day!

TexLawyer :

You too. I hope things work out for you.

Hi, Dawn! I just wanted to check in with you and see if you were able to get your notice filed without any issues. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.