John Legal
John Legal, Attorney
Experience:  Over 15 years legal experience.

Hello John, I have another question. My mother wants to help

Hello John, I have another question. My mother wants to help my sister put a down on a house. How will this affect the Trust, Medicaid, etc.? What is the best route for doing this? Thank you for your help.
Welcome! Thank you for asking for me.

If your mother gives your sister money or pays money toward a home in your sister's name then that will cause your mother to be ineligible for Medicaid for 5 years from the date of the transfer. It has no effect on the trust but will trigger a new 5 year period.

Your mother could lend her the money using a note or obtain some portion of ownership in the home. If either of these are done they should only be done under the consultation of an elder law attorney because Medicaid estate recovery may be able to take your mother's interest in the home or the note if she passes away after receiving Medicaid benefits.