Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.
45002201

My son plays for a little league baseball organization. To

My son plays for a little league baseball organization. To increase his baseball exposure since the season is almost over, I got several other kids together and we go practice together on sunday's in hopes of playing travel ball when the season ends. In doing so, I got a message from the league administrator that if the kids are playing on a different team, they will not be allowed to play on a little league team anymore. I did find in the little league rules where it is allowed to play on other teams, so I can approach them with this alone, but what I want to know is: If I tell them about this rule in the little league rule book, and they than respond with something to the affect that 'this is something they have in their own rule book', is there a state/fedral law that dictates what they can and can't demand of youth on their own time?

TexLawyer :

Good afternoon. I'll be assisting you with your question.

TexLawyer :

Did you sign a contract when you started with this Little League?

Customer:

No, I don't recall signing anything but a waiver

Customer:

oh and a medical release form

TexLawyer :

OK. Was the rule you cited that allows kids to play in different leagues within the local rule book or the general Little League organization rule book?

Customer:

General

Customer:

That's where I found it

TexLawyer :

Thanks for the link,

TexLawyer :

If you never signed a contract or some kind of agreement with your Little League, then you are in a more difficult legal position.

Customer:

So they can legally demand what the kids do off-the field?

TexLawyer :

You don't have a legal right to force your local Little League follow the rules. If there is no contract, then there isn't anything to enforce.

Customer:

right, so they can't stop us or kick us off little league because we play on a different team as well?

TexLawyer :

My guess is that they would kick him out of the league, and his team would forfeit any games he played in. That said, the best thing you can do is appeal this to the Little League main office. They give your local LL the right to use their name, trademark, goodwill, etc., so they have a huge amount of influence over the local LLs.

Customer:

So even in spit of the little league rules they could kick us off?

TexLawyer :

They can put pressure on your local LL to stick to the rules the main corporate (for lack of a better word) office sets. My guess is that they have a contract or memorandum of understanding with the main office that requires them to abide by the rules set up by the national organization.

TexLawyer :

Legally, yes, but if you make issue of it, the national LL office may put a stop to it. In other words, you may not have a legally enforceable right, but that does not mean there is nothing you can do.

TexLawyer :

Your answer lies with the national LL, not the courts.

Customer:

hmmmmm but you're not aware of any legal document I could have in my back pocket that says they infringe on a parents rights to do other activities during the season?

Customer:

without a contract that is?

TexLawyer :

In essence, they can infringe on your rights, so long as they aren't doing it for a reason based on race, gender, etc.

TexLawyer :

They can have all the foolish rules they want, so long as they are evenly enforced, and not based on race, gender, etc.

Customer:

ok, sigh, not what I wanted to hear, but ok

TexLawyer :

Since the LL is a private entity, they don't have the same kind of scrutiny that this same kind of restriction would have if it were placed by the government.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

thanks for your help

TexLawyer :

Sorry for the bad news, but I can only give my honest assessment of the laws and your facts.

TexLawyer :

I wish I had better news.

Customer:

yeah, I appreciate that

Customer:

Thanks again

TexLawyer :

Glad to help.

TexLawyer :

Can I do anything else for you?

Hi, Seldon. I just wanted to follow up with you to see if the national Little League office was able to help you with your situation. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.