Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

At the age of 63, I want to adopt my stepdaughter of 41yrs,

At the age of 63, I want to adopt my stepdaughter of 41yrs, her age is 52. She is in Washington State, and I am in Alabama. She wants to legally become part of my fathers family, and take his name, my maiden name. Can we do this online?

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

To answer your question directly, you cannot pursue an adult adoption online. At some point you would need to both appear in court where the judge would ask questions and ensure that both parties formally understand and agree to pursue such a change. Because you are located in Alabama, then Alabama courts would govern this process. You would need to file a petition for an adult adoption and use the form below:

File this form at your county court, obtain a hearing date, and then have your stepdaughter visit and appear with you in court to finalize the process.

Good luck.