Have Legal Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.
Thank you for your follow-up, Hanna.This is a bit of a complicated issue because you are not able to appear locally. The only legitimate option that I see, but one that may cost you funds, would be to consider retaining local counsel in the state where the order is domesticated, and ask the attorney to file for an emergency injunction (a stay) so that the other party cannot seek a bank levy. I honestly see no other viable options because calling the judge will not help as most will require you or your attorney to appear directly and plead their case--courts do not work via phone. You have already taken as many potential reasonable steps as you could (stop-payments, notifications, etc..) but to truly stop it you MUST somehow appear in front of a judge, show that the funds are exempt, and request a removal of the levy. You can still try to call the judge on Monday, speak to the clerk, explain that you are far and cannot travel, and seek a phone conference, but that is very much an outside shot. While theoretically possible, you really cannot count on that as being sure to work.Hope that helps.
Thanks for the answer. I'd consider the injunction if I only knew some low cost attorney who could do that for me. Obviously, being on SS and all, I am not rich. If you have a recommendation for someone I'll consider it.
A complication is that I have no idea what the court or judge is. May be I had some notification that I didn't see? NEEDLESS TO SAY NOTHING ARRIVED FROM THE BANK YET (that's probably deliberate).
I suppose the one way to find out about the court is to call the FTB itself, at which point I could alert them to the fact that this account contains only my SS benefits (and they may or may not care at this point). I was hesitant about calling them for obvious reasons.
Relist: Other. I did not get a reply to my follow-up question. It was relatively simple I thought. Also, I cannot spend much more time waiting in front of the computer. Hope someone will be able to retrieve the original answer and the follow-up question.
Thanks for the answer. Closing the account was my first thought. Unfortunately, the bank won't let me close the account (shockingly!). They already collected their $100. fee so I can't see the reason. One last question on this: can the bank (BOA) actually refuse to close an account if so instructed and if I don't owe them anything?
If closing the account would work, I have no trouble with the delay in collecting my SSA payment and the SSA administration already explained to me what they'll do if the account is closed. They have now an alternate account in a Texas chartered bank to deposit it.
I appreciate your comment about the steps it'd take to get a levy in another state. Looks like this process will be buy me enough time so I can settle things with the FTB once and for all. I sure appreciate knowing that.