How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 13340
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a daughter who has been abusive. I cared for her child

This answer was rated:

I have a daughter who has been abusive. I cared for her child for 11 years, provided a home for her and a car to drive. One day I asked her to turn down music playing on the radio and her response was anyone who cant listen to this music is too old. I responded that age had nothing to do with it and she responded by telling me to shut the f up. I responded by stating I didn't deserve that and she in turn told me to shut up. I took the car away and she decided to move out of the house. For the past three years she has not allowed me to see my grandchild. Her sister said I was talking about her to my gd, which is not something I would do - my gd is not a pawn. She blames me for all that my gd has gone through when I was around - nothing concrete only vague accusations. and stated she has no feelings for me because I kicked her out of the house. I did not kick her out of the house. I would like to formally disown her.
Thank you for your question.

I am sorry to hear of your situation. There is no legal process to disown a child. That is to say, you cannot petition a court and ask for a legal document stating that you disown your child - there is nothing they can give you.

If you want to exclude them from any inheritance, make sure you have either a Will or trust set up, because without one, you would pass away being "intestate", meaning state law would decide how your estate is divided, and it is possible your daughter could still inherit in such a situation.

When you create a Will or trust, language can be added that says something like "I leave nothing for my daughter, Joan, for reasons known to her", or something similar. Adding language to your estate planning documents makes it clear that you are aware of the person and acknowledge them and are making the choice to leave them nothing.

If you have any follow up questions about my answer, I am more than happy to assist you further.
RobertJDFL and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you