Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.
20073497

My father passed in 2005 and Ive been trying to find him for

My father passed in 2005 and I've been trying to find him for many years cause we hadn't had contact for some years.When I was finally able to track him down I found he had passed the death certificate had said he was indigent and gave the names of the Crematory and the Mortuary of where he had been placed.I called them starting with the Crematory and they said they cremated him then the Mortuary picked him up and signed off.I then called the Mortuary to find out where he was laid to rest so my sister and I could go there and have closure and grieve and they gave the name of the cemetery of where they sent him to be laid to rest.I then called that place and they said they have no record of him.To find that someone may have lost him or just threw him away is just gut-wrenching,devastating.This is creating so much pain when we should be on our way to healing to know that we will never have anywhere to go to grieve and have closure is just heartbreaking.My question is can they do this and not have to be held accountable.
Expert:  Andrea, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with Excellent Service,

Please accept my heartfelt condolences on the loss of your father. I understand completely what you are going through right now and the last organization that had possession of his ashes must be held accountable. Whether the net of kin had or did not have a close relationship with the decedent is irrelevant and should not be used as a reason to excuse their mishandling and mislaying the remains of any decedent. I am sure that each entity which handled your father's remains will point a finger at someone else and will make every attempt to "stonewall" you, trying to frustrate you, hoping that you will give up trying to locate your father's remains. For this reason, I strongly suggest that you consult with a lawyer with experience in Estate law to represent you and your sister. Each person in the chain of events will be less likely to stonewall your lawyer because they know that they will not be able to "pass the buck". In addition the lawyer has ways of determining how to locate your father's remains. Call your County's Bar Association Lawyer Referral Service, tell them what your problem is, and ask for the names of several Attorneys with experience in Estate work, then select the one with whom you and your sister feel the most comfortable. These cases are (Or, can be) taken on a contingency fee so that you do not incur legal fees and the Attorney will be paid from any settlement, verdict, or judgment he obtains or you and your sister,

I wish you the best of luck,

_________________________________________________________________

Please be kind enough to rate "Excellent Service" so that I receive credit

for assisting you,

Bonus and Positive Feedback on survey is very much appreciated,

ANDREA

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I live in Illinois and my father died in Utah do I need a lawyer from Utah or Illinois?

Thank you for your follow up question and the opportunity to explain further,

It would be best to retain an Attorney who is a member of the Bar off Utah because that is where your father passed away, it is where your father's remains were handled, and it is where all those involved are located and where they can be served with Process, if it becomes necessary to file a lawsuit,

I wish you the best of Luck,

for assisting you,

ANDREA

Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience: 25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.