Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney

University of Colorado vs me Signed up for classes approx

Customer Question

University of Colorado vs me

Signed up for classes approx 2 years ago

Never attended classes, received official retroactive withdrawal in writing from all teachers

Moved to Colorado with fiance' from Florida

Fiance' had nervous breakdown, forced to move back to Fla with parents

Univ of Colorado will not forgive $16000 tuition

"Bad debt" is now blemishing my credit
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is Alex and I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear your difficult situation.

What is your specific legal question for me please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can a lawyer help me fight the $16k bill?
Dear James,

Are you looking to hire an attorney or simply have a legal question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I may have to hire a lawyer for this. What do you recommend?
Dear James,

Thank you for your follow up.

Did you take out any student loans or is this tuition debt being pursued by the University itself?

Did you try to negotiate some type of a settlement with the University?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Debt is being pursued by the U

No, I have not attempted to negotiate a lower amount
Dear James,

Thank you for your follow up.

It might be a good idea in a situations similar to yours to try to negotiate a settlement amount which can include reduced lump sum amount or affordable monthly payments and if the University does not agree to settle, then it might be a good idea to consult and retain local consumer protection attorney to help you negotiate a settlement or if the university pursues a lawsuit against you in court to represent you in the court case and to contest the alleged claim for tuition debt against you.

You can find an experienced local consumer protection law attorney to help you resolve this matter by using these well trusted and reliable attorney information / referral websites:

www.martindale.com
www.justia.com
www.lexmundi.com
www.lawyers.com

I wish you the best of luck!
Dear James,

I have provided you with correct and accurate answer to your question.

I understand that the law might not be favorable to your situation, but please do not hold this fact against me personally.

Can you please let me know why you feel my answer was "poor service" and also please let me know what additional information are you seeking at this time or what related follow up questions do you have?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
From what I read, you have offered referrals, and not a legal solution.

If you can provide me with a legal answer and or precedent, you will have given me good service.
Dear James,

Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately, we are not permitted to offer any type of legal advice / service, or tell customers what to do or suggest legal solutions to customers, as such answer would constitute legal advice, which can only be obtained from your local attorney.

I would be more than happy to provide you with a general answer to your legal related follow up legal questions, if you can please clearly state you specific legal question.

Thanks.