LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

i baught a ring in aruba for 2500...they said it was worth

i baught a ring in aruba for 2500...they said it was worth 5700... I had it appraised and it is only worth 1575 I tried with credit card company for 6 months and they dragged their feet and now told me they can not help
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good evening. What was the response from the store after you advised them of the misrepresentation? Also, do you have anything in writing to support the value, which they said it was worth and which you relied on, when making the purchase? Also, did they tell you why they were selling a ring for less then 1/2 of what it was worth?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

they told me my appraisal was bad and that if I go to aruba again they would give me credit towards another purchase. Jewlery in aruba generally is a good deal. I have made many other purchases at other stores that appraised higher than purchase price. credit card was no help

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

they sent me their appraisal 30 days after I baught it after tried to dispute with credit card. The appraisal company I used has been in business since 1936 and is the best in my area. Any way to get at least the difference back

paid 2500

vaule1575

refund? 925

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

u there?

Yes, I am here just typing my response. Please give me a few minutes. Thank you.
Tim, thank you for the additional information. In an ideal situation, the store which sold you the ring would recognize and honor the appraisal which you had done and return to you the difference between what it is worth and what you paid for it. The reason which they are likely offering you a credit is because 1) they likely do not think you will return and ever use it and 2) they will still get you to buy something else, still making a profit. Moreover, they are not going to acknowledge that your appraisal is good or else it would completely contradict what they told you. If they provided false and misleading information to you, which you relied on, you would have a legal basis to sue. The obstacle that you face, is that suit would have to be filed in Aruba, in a court of competent jurisdiction. As such, you would need to retain an attorney and not only see if you have a valid cause of action but if you can also be awarded attorney fees, if you prevail. The credit card company is not going to get involved, since they are not in the business of determining actual value of items purchased and likely place the burden on you and I, as the consumer, to know what we are purchasing and what it is worth. They have no way of knowing if you appraisal is right or that of the store, so they will not get in the middle and issue you a refund, in a situation like this. With that being said, you relief would have to be sought through the court, in Aruba, since the court in your home State, would not have jurisdiction over the matter.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.