Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.
45002201

Hi Im just wondering what can I do with my 17yr old daughter

Hi I'm just wondering what can I do with my 17yr old daughter that will be turning 18 in July next month... She keeps breaking the house rules.. I've told her Not to bring anyone into the house due to the fact that I'm a single mother of 2 daughters.. I have caught her with 4 boys in my house smoking.. than few days later found 2 empty bottle of vodka in my pantry.. obviously she doesn't care.. And I can't be at home and at work at the same time.. I was so upset after telling a few times after catching her in many lies.. I couldn't take it any more so I told her if you can't live by my rules and want to be with your friends than go live with them.. So I told her to pack a bag.. and took her phone away and told her to email me when shes ready to make a change.. She doesn't want to get her drivers license, or a job.. What can I do now??? I don't trust her in my home alone

furious mom
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 1 year ago.

TexLawyer :

Good evening. I'll be assisting you with your question.

TexLawyer :

Once she turns 18, you have the legal authority to remove her from your home. What she does from there is largely her business, as she will be an adult at that point.

TexLawyer :

Your legal responsibility for her ends at age 18.

Customer:

I understand that I'm suppose to provide for her til 18 but coming home from work is a little scary and I don't want all that exposed to my 9yr like leaving pipes and empty bottle of vodka

Customer:

she's threatening on calling dcf on me

TexLawyer :

I understand. Your other option is to call the police about any criminal activity she's engaged in now.

Customer:

I work all day and she gets out of school at 1130am and I can't be home to supervise

TexLawyer :

Is there a relative or friend she can live with?

Customer:

so your saying if I catch her in the act and call the cops on her right what happens after that they will just run than what

TexLawyer :

You, as her parent, can consent to her living with someone else.

Customer:

I wish they all live in cali.. I live in fl

Customer:

right now she

Customer:

is staying at her boyfriends house

TexLawyer :

Yes, if she is breaking the law, you can call the police. At the very least, it will be incentive to either live somewhere else or obey the rules until she turns 18 and you can force her out.

Customer:

the mother doesnt mind

TexLawyer :

If they are OK with it and it is safe place for her to stay, then you can give that consent.

Customer:

do i have to give her the house keys?

TexLawyer :

In other words, a parent is not legally obligated to require that their child live with them.

Customer:

ok about the consent

TexLawyer :

No.

Customer:

if the mother allows her there all I have to do is write the consent? what if she won't take it but allows her to stay.. I know it sounds odd but the mother is odd lol

TexLawyer :

You don't have to give written consent. Verbal consent or implied consent (consent based on your actions, not your words) is enough.

Customer:

really so if she's staying there isn't that enough consent? just curious in case im late finding out what if she did call dcf what would happen ?

TexLawyer :

That is enough consent. If the mother is allowing her to stay and you are not preventing it, that is implied consent on both sides.

Customer:

if my daughter does stay at her boyfriends house do I have to pay?

TexLawyer :

No, not without a court order, and it would be almost impossibe for them to get one by her 18th birthday.

Customer:

OMG thank you so much on the paying part but what would happen if she did call the DCF on me today

TexLawyer :

Assuming you are not endangering your child, nothing should happen.

TexLawyer :

Again, you have no legal obligation to force your child to live with you, so long as the place she is living is safe.

Customer:

so all the would do is write up a report? and it won't effect my younger daughter?

TexLawyer :

Assumint her complaint is baseless, nothing will happen. They would write a report that they investigated the claim and close the case.

Customer:

is there any way you can write up the legal letter stating all the facts? just to prove my know it all daughter lol

TexLawyer :

I'm sorry, but I can't do that. We are not allowed contact with customers outside of this website. However, you can show her this chat. It will always be accessible through your profile.

Customer:

thank you so much you made my stress and grey hairs better lol

TexLawyer :

Glad to help!

TexLawyer :

If there isn't anything else I can do for you, please remember to "rate" my answer. Good luck!

Customer:

defiantly will recommend you

Customer:

thank you

Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience: Experienced in both state and federal court.