Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.

I live in Columbus Georgia, my car was parked under a tree

I live in Columbus Georgia, my car was parked under a tree which was dead and the tree limb broke off and did 4000$ damage to my car, the city planted the tree, after the tree fell, the city came and cut the tree down. they told me to get two estimates for the damage, in which I did, then they said that it was an act of nature, and they were not liable. I would like to if the city is liable for the damage
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good afternoon. The city is going to be liable for this. Here's the way it works on trees that cause damage...It depends upon whether the owner of the tree knew or should have known the tree was previously damaged or diseased. If the answer to that is yes, then the owner of the tree (or his insurance company) is responsible for the removal of and any damages caused by the tree. Only if the answer to that is no would be considered an Act of God, and only in that instance does the owner of the tree have no liability for damage and is not responsible for the removal from the neighbor's property. In your situation, since the tree was dead, the city is going to be liable.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help! For easy access, my bookmark is: