TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs

I am a real estate agent who has performed services for a company

I am a real estate agent who has performed services for a company out of Denver CO. This work was performed over a year ago, and despite repeated and persistent efforts to collect, the company has not paid. In asking around fellow agents around the country, I find that there are possibly hundreds of agents in the same situation. I am only owed $275, but other are owed thousands of dollars. Is it possible to create a class action lawsuit so that everyone can be paid?

If the reason that the company did not pay all the other agents is the same reason, then yes, it would be possible to base a class action on these circumstances.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What if the "reason" for the late payments is not known? We just know that we have not been paid in an unreasonable amount of time.

There are several stages to a class action. It is very very very complicated and generally very expensive.

It's easy to file the lawsuit, this is done based simply on the allegation that you meet the definitions of a class for a class action.

However, then you must have the class "certified" by the court (meaning that the court agrees it is a class action). ONe of the things you have to prove is "commonality", that means that all the people in the class had the same wrong done to them. If everyone did not have the same wrong done to them, then there is no class.