Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

How or who do I contact to get a Ar Correctional unit inve

How or who do I contact to get a Ar Correctional unit investigated?

JD 1992 :

Hello and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and I look forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification.

JD 1992 :

Can you provide a few facts just to put this into context?

Customer:

I have been writing to PaulMJD at Just Answer but our son has been declared guilty of something that he and others said didn't happen the way the other inmates say it did.

JD 1992 :

Would you like for me to send this to Paul?

Customer:

Sorry i hit the wrong key and sent the half written question. They have him in the hole, took his phone priviledges, commissary, books take his mat in the morn at 7:30 and bring it back at 7:30 pm, he doesn't eat beef, pork, cold cuts or Jack mac which they serve often. He doesn't think people should eat that. He is hungry at night and most of the day because they took the food he bought away.

Customer:

If you can answer this it is fine.

JD 1992 :

You have a few options. The first is the Department of Justice. They would investigate any civil rights violations that occur within a prison. Their website is http://www.justice.gov/

JD 1992 :

The second option is the ACLU. While they don't have any actual power they can and do bring lawsuits on behalf of prisoners who are being ill treated. Their website for Arkansas is http://www.acluarkansas.org/

JD 1992 :

The third group that investigates is the Criminal Investigation Division of the Arkansas State Police. Their website is at http://asp.arkansas.gov/divisions/criminal-investigations

JD 1992 :

There is one more place to look, hold on just a sec.

JD 1992 :

He could also file a grievance/complaint through the prison system itself, but those usually have little to no effect in cases like this.

JD 1992 :

Did you have additional questions?

JD 1992 :

Thank you very much for the Positive Rating. Please come back and visit us if you have any new questions and feel free to ask for me by placing “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up as soon as I see it.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I learned Friday that the ADC had been notified about our son and his problem and they were going to investigate. I do not know how much they will try to find out. It is so hard when we have received thru another inmate that they have our son on suicide watch and when I call down there they say he is fine and not on any watch. I really feel that they do not know how to tell the truth about anything. Where do I go from here?

If the ADC is investigating then the thing to do is send them a letter and explain your concerns and ask them to verify 1) how well being and 2) his status. Also ask them to do this in person by visiting with him rather than just calling the prison officials and asking them.

Be sure and send the letter to the ADC by overnight or second day air in a manner that they must sign for it.