Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.

I just discovered that my step-mother is planning on taking

I just discovered that my step-mother is planning on taking me to small claims court for money she thinks I owe to her. I don't feel as if I owe her any money. Can I be forced to pay money that I don't feel I owe."
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good morning. Although you can't prevent her from filing the claim, she has the burden of proving you owe this money. Even if she gave you money, unless she can produce a promissory note you signed or something else from you...such as an email, text, or other correspondence, indicating that you acknowledged that the money given to you was a loan rather than a gift, she won't prevail. Absent such documentation, the court is not going to allow her to now treat any money she might have given you as a loan.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So basically if there is no correspondence or promissory note then she can't collect anything.

She did let me use her credit card but even then I used the card to buy groceries for the house 1/2 on the credit card and 1/2 on my card or I would use the credit card for repairs on HER car. I didn't use the card unless I had her permission.

Thanks for following up. That is correct. She won't prevail on this suit of hers based on those facts. :)
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help! For easy access, my bookmark is: