Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

I received a medical bill 14 months after the event. All other

Customer Question

I received a medical bill 14 months after the event. All other bill regarding the procedure were sent and pain with in approximately 6 months. The hospital lied multiple times regarding the reason for the delay and finally sent it to a debt collector. How long does a business have to send a bill in order to legitimately collect?
Expert:  Barrister replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
How long does a business have to send a bill in order to legitimately collect?
.
From a purely legal perspective, when a patient seeks treatment or services from a health care provider, they are entering into either a verbal or written contract to pay the provider for those services. In NY the statute of limitations for collection of a debt on an account is 6 years under NY Civil Practice 213(1).
.
So unfortunately, they have a long time to collect in NY. With that said, if the hospital negligently failed to send in the bill to your insurance to be paid along with the others after you received services, I would opine that you would have an equitable argument that you should only be liable for the copay amount due to their negligence. Had they submitted the claim appropriately, they would have been paid along with any other bills.
.
If you haven't already done so, I would also contact your insurer to see if they would still cover the claim or if it was too old under your policy agreement.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.