Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

Here I am again !!! Hello, I live in NJ and I am on SSDI. I

Customer Question

Here I am again !!! Hello, I live in NJ and I am on SSDI. I have many creditors coming after me now that I got a lump sum money. Here are the types and amounts of my OPEN non paid Judgments:

1. Hospital Medical Bill for $6,200

2. Hospital Medical Bill for $1,396

3. Credit Card for $727.45

4. Condo Assc fees $14,000.00 ( I am working with them to pay this down)

I had to go through hell to get back some monies taken illegally under section 207 of the Social Securityy Disability act. I now have my account pretty much protected from any more levy's and watch it daily. That is not my question for now.

My question revolves around my automobile and how aggressive certain debtors are being. I have a 1995 Toyota Avalon worth maybe $2,500 give or take $500.00. I own it straight out. Could/Would any of the above debtors use their judgment to take my car and sell it at auction etc? Or, is this car (18 years old) not woth enough to go through the hassle? Is there an exemption amount in NJ for seizure of automobiles? etc???

Thanks,

Vic
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

JD 1992 :

Hello, and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and I look forward to assisting you today.

JD 1992 :

The exemption amount in NJ for a vehicle is $1000,

Customer :

I cannot see your response

JD 1992 :

Can you see this?

Customer :

Yes but barely, it is so small in a little space.

JD 1992 :

I'll switch this to a Q and A format and see if that solves the problem,

JD 1992 :

I;ll change the format, Exit the question and reenter.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ARE YOU THERE?

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
I am here. I changed formats. Can you see this now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes

CONTINUE WITH YOUR OPINION/ANSWER

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
OKay, up to $1000 of the car's value is protected from creditors. With a a normal 18 year old car it isn't going to be worth a lot more than that so the creditors wouldn't be likely to do anything.