LegalEagle1
LegalEagle1, Attorney
Experience:  Practicing attorney licensed for over 25 years.
58185682

can you collect welfare and own a business at the same tim

can you collect welfare and own a business at the same time?
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I would like to assist you with your question today.

Yes. Owning a business by itself does not prohibit a person from qualifying for "welfare" or forms of public assistance.

There are many different types of "welfare" but as long as the person reports accurately their interest and income received the agency will consider this information to see if the person qualifies to receive the assistance.

I hope that I have answered your question. Please let me know if you have more questions or need more information.

_________________________________________________________________
Please rate my answers with a positive rating (three or more stars) as this is the only way I receive credit and compensation for my work. If you have additional questions or need more information, please ask.

My goal is to provide with best assistance that I can. Please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also keep in mind that the law may not always be settled or may not support the position you want. My role is not to tell you what you want to hear. but to provide you accurate information as to what the law provides. Please do not rate me poorly just because the information I have provided does not support the outcome you desire.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legaleagle1 also begin your question with “For LegalEagle1”
Use of this service does not create any attorney client relationship. Information provided is intended to explain general legal principles and assist you in finding an attorney in your area.

Please click "Great" or better to rate service.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i won a law suit and put the money into a business account. can i cut myself off welfare and keep my children on without them borthering me.

You would have to check and see what the criteria is to qualify for the particular welfare that you or your children are currently receiving. There been instances where people come into large sums of money such as winning a lawsuit or winning lottery and they are still able to receive the public assistance.

You should make all the disclosures required by law for you to make to the agency from which you or your children receive "welfare" Many welfare programs are only concerned with current income and lump sum payment from a lawsuit may have no impact upon a persons ability to receive benefits. It may also depend on for what reason the award was made.