Ellen, Lawyer, Consultant
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

Under Pennsylvania law, can a single man and a married woman

Under Pennsylvania law, can a single man and a married woman purchase real estate and obtain a mortgage without the consent of the married woman's spouse?
*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*

Welcome,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

Yes. The spouse's consent is not required for either a married man or a married woman to purchase real estate and obtain a mortgage. That said, the married woman's husband would not be liable for the mortgage unless he signed the note

I would be glad to respond to any related follow-up questions that you may have.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Would the spouse have any legally protected interest in the real estate bought by a single man and a married woman under Pennsylvania law?

Yes. If the property was purchased with marital funds, the property would be considered to be marital property and subject to equitable distribution in the event of a divorce
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I take it though that if marital funds were not used and mortgage payments commenced after the married woman filed for divorce, the property would not be considered "marital property"?

That is also correct.

Thank you very much for the "excellent service" rating and the bonus!

If I can be of assistance in the future, begin your question with: "For FiveStarLaw"