Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

If a car has some previous damage then gets into an accident

If a car has some previous damage then gets into an accident that damages a lot more, the same already damaged area, how is that handled with the insurance company. For example, if the bumper had some nicks and dents and the grill had a few cracks and it gets into an accident and the bumper is crushed and grill completely destroyed. How does that work?

Kirk Adams : Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a litigation attorney. Thanks for your question.
Kirk Adams : Unless the insurance policy in effect at the time of the most recent accident provided some exception for the previous damage or states that no coverage would be provided for these particular issues, then the current policy should cover repairs for all of the damages.
Kirk Adams : Also, it is practically impossible - - probably - - to repair the new damage without also having to address the older damage.