Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.
18215332

20 Years Ago, The Previous Owner Of My Home Filed A Blding

20 Years Ago, The Previous Owner Of My Home Filed A Blding Permit. It Expired And Was Forgotten. 10 Years Ago I Bought My Home With A Clear Title. Now The Bld Inspector And The Asst Da Has Said Im responsible for Fixing This. Help?

If the building permit was taken out to fix a code violation citation 10 years age, but the repair work was never done by the owner, then the building is still in violation, and the city can require you to do the work - maybe. Depending on how old the citation is, it might have expired and if it was not of record officially when you bought the property, it would not bind you. That said, the city can still pursue code violations against you, but they have to start from scratch, i.e. new inspections, notices, opportunities to repair etc...

I hope this information is helpful and that you will enter a positive rating. I thank you for submitting your question to Pearl-Just Answer. We appreciate your business. If you need clarification or additional information, please send me a Reply and I will be happy to explain further. Please consult a local attorney to verify the accuracy of this information according to your state's laws.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The Bld Permit Was For An Addition. The Addition Was Completed Sometime Before I Bought The House. There Was Nothing On The Title About Inspections, Permits Or Code Violations.

Then I have no idea what your building inspector or DA is talking about fixing now. It can't be base on a 20 year old room addition.
You must demand a detailed inspection report showing any code violations that you are responsible for fixing. If you disagree, a real estate attorney who is familiar with construction issues should be consulted.