TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
17219180

A graduate student (24 yrs old) is out at a bar off campus

A graduate student (24 yrs old) is out at a bar off campus with a professor that is buying him shots and alochol. They get into a discussion where the profressor says something that annoys the student and the student slaps the professor open handed. Apologies are made and no further actions took place. My question is this. Does the college (huge college in Boston) have the right to throw that student our of the graduate program for an incident that was not on campus?

Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear about this situation.

Unfortunately, a university may suspend or terminate a student's registration in an academic program for off campus behavior which violates university policy.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Best Regards,
ZDN