Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

Hello I have a problem with Met Life LTD insurance. They made

Customer Question

Hello I have a problem with Met Life LTD insurance. They made me apply for Social Security Disability. I was on SSI a while back and went into a work program and was over paid. I was paying back 100.00 per month to Social security. Met Life Knew about my over payment and referred me to the Advocate group and they got my SSI reinstated. Now Met Life is saying I owe them all the payments they made to me back and are holding my checks putting them toward my over payment. I was happy paying Social Security 100.00 per month did not want to go back on it. My main question is Am I wrong or is Met Life? Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX [email protected]

Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question, Brian.

My apologies but the insurer in this case is correct. Here is why:

Obtaining any sort of Long Term Disability is based on your full receipt of benefits. LTD covers the remainder up to a specific percentage. In this case if SSD ended up providing benefits which LTD did no take into consideration right away, it would considered overpayment if both entities cover what is essentially the same level of coverage. LTD only works to cover the remainder of what SSD does not cover, so they can demand a return on benefits that they ended up overpaying based on the formula for you own specific benefit amount. The insurer can withhold future benefits until the amount they would owe to you is normalized with the other benefits. It is also irrelevant if you did not wish to go back on SSD, LTD is based on showing that you have attempted to obtain all the benefits you are entitled to from all outside options first before obtaining it from LTD, so failing to pursue SSD or other benefits could have been used by LTD as a reason to cut your benefits outright (for failing to mitigate their potential expenses). I apologize, truly, but in this case the insurer is correct.

Good luck.

To ensure that we keep our communication consolidated in one post, I will respond to your question in this thread and ask that your second question be closed out.

To respond:

But I have not gotten a cent from Social Security they are with holding my payments until 2014 its all going toward my over payment. Does that change anything?

I am sory but I am a bit unclear. You got no money at all from SSD but the insurer is witholding funds in advance of you receiving your benefits?