How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33166
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What is the Kansas Statute of limitations for personal property? I

This answer was rated:

What is the Kansas Statute of limitations for personal property?

I owned a home recording studio from 1999-2002. An acquaitance left some equipment in my studio from 2002 to 2008 at which time i went through a divorse from 2007-2008 which forced us to sell the home and all its contents including all equipment as settlement in divorce. My acquaintace had disappeared with no forwarding address or phone number and I did not hear from him until about a year ago, of which I told him I know longer had posession of any of the equipment including my own posessions. I explained that I had no way of contacting him, I had not heard from him for over 8 or 9 years. He called me yesterday to tell me he was going to go to the Kansas court house and sue me for his equipment. what is the statute of limitations in Kansas and does he have a case?

Hello and welcome.

I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am working on your answer now and will post it here shortly. Thank you for your patience while I prepare your answer.

Hello again, Doug.

Pursuant to K.S.A. 60-513(a)(2), an owner of personal property would typically have up to two years to pursue a lawsuit for conversion of the property, or sue for the return of the property.

Here is a link to the applicable statute:

If you are served with a summons in the suit, you must file an answer typically and raise the statute of limitations as a defense in the case. On a motion to dismiss, the case should be dismissed by the court since the statute of limitations for filing the suit has lapsed.

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need so I will be compensated for my time from the deposit you posted with this website. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!


Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So in laymens (sp?) terms he has no case as long as I state the kansas statute of limitations of expiration? And you are saying that if he left his posessions for over 2 years without any contact...then how do I end that sentence?


Just making sure I understand.


just want to make sure I have my ducks in a row....

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
needed more information and she was helping someone else
Hello again,

I was just working on your follow-up answer. Here it is:

You will need to see what he alleges in his complaint before asserting a specific SOL, but if it is not for breach of contract but for conversion or replevin, you would typically assert this SOL as a defense, yes.

You would simply deny the allegations contained in his complaint and then assert the SOL as an affirmative defense, indicating that since he abandoned his personal property in 2002, the SOL has run and his complaint is therefore time-barred and should be dismissed.

Here is a link to a document which provides sample language for an Answer:
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33166
Experience: JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
Tina and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm sorry so just to be specific before I log off. Is the statute of limitations 2 years in Kansas?

For conversion and replevin (seeking damages for disposing of personal property or seeking the return of personal property) the SOL is two years, correct.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thats what I needed to know. He is a little spooky. He has known to dissapear for years on end and then stalk people. He was suggested to make medication in the past when I knew hem 8 or 9 years ago. He left message that he was going to try and find me. But as long as I got your legal advise I feel comfortable. I really had no way of contacting this guy for 8 years until he call me a year ago about all of this. If he cared so much about his equipment, you would have thought he would have kept in touch.


Absolutely and a court would typically agree, if he cared about his equipment that much he would not have abandoned it for so many years.

Good luck to you and take care!

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.