Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz, Attorney
Experience:  Twenty one years experience as a lawyer in New York and New Jersey. Former Appellate Law Clerk.
8370490

can a car dealer contact my employer

can a car dealer contact my employer
Expert:  Thomas Swartz replied 1 year ago.
Hello JACUSTOMER,

To qualify for a car loan, a car dealer can contact your employer to verify your employment status and your income level. However, if you have already purchased the car they would have no need to contact your employer. But if they are offering a new loan with a new interest rate, they can contact your employer if you want to qualify for the loan. If you don't want them to contact your employer, you can simply tell them that, but you may loose the opportunity for the new interest rate.

Thomas
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I had told them not to contact my employer and I would give them the car back if need. however they asked my employer for an email saying that I work in the Lehigh area so they can get the loan anyway

If you applied for a loan, they can contact your employer. If you don't want them to contact your employer you should tell them you no longer want the loan.

Thomas
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did tell them that I didn't want them to contact my employer and if this was going to be an issue I no longer wanted the vehicle. They contacted my supervisor not the Human Resources Department. They wanted me to resign the loan documents because they did not meet the terms of the loan and they are asking to say that I work in a specific area of the state in order to obtain the loan with a credit union in the Lehigh Valley area.

I specifically advised them not to involve my employer for any type of letter that had this specific language.

I not only work in the Lehigh Valley area I work in the entire North East area of PA and putting in writing that I only work in Lehigh Valley would incorrect and I assume illegal.

I believe they lied to my supervisor in order to get him to write a statement which said that I work in the Lehigh Valley are of PA.

Thank you for your help,

I wouldn't worry about the loan documents being illegal. Unless the loan documents says that you work "exculsively" in the Lehigh Valley area, then the fact that you also work in other areas is not really being misleading.

I'm sorry I could not be of more help.

Good luck.

Thomas
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

can they still contact my employer after I told not to

I assume you also signed some type of purchase agreement and you already took possession of the car?

Thomas
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I did sign a purchase agreement and have possession of the vehicle since May 22, 2013.

Unfortunately, the problem is that the car dealership can still hold you legally responsible for payment of the car since you signed the purchase agreement and took possession of the car. You should check your purchase agreement to see if they is any language allowing you to cancel the deal. I suspect there is not. And there is likely language in your loan application/documents and the purchase agreement authorizing the dealership to contact your employer (and run credit check etc.) and obtain additional information if necessary. And this written language would take precedence over your oral request for them not to contact your employer after the deal had already gone through. So I'm afraid you are in a bad position. But you should check all the written papers you signed to see if there is any language allowing you to cancel the purchase or loan application.

Thomas
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for following up with me. The transaction with the car loan was finalized but I was wondering if you have any experience with workers compensation in the state of Pennsylvania?

No, I'm sorry I don't have any experience with workers comp in Pennsylvania.

Thomas
Thomas Swartz, Attorney
Experience: Twenty one years experience as a lawyer in New York and New Jersey. Former Appellate Law Clerk.