Joseph
Joseph, Attorney
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in the legal field, currently specializing in criminal and family law
18539850

is it legal for an officer to insist I give my social security

is it legal for an officer to insist I give my social security info., then transmit my complete identity profile including social security info., over short wave radio? I feel this exposed me to possible identity fraud.

That would depend on the context of the encounter with the officer. If the officer had reasonable suspicion of criminal activity, then he would be permitted to request identifying information, including a social security number. For example, if an officer observed someone wearing dark clothing, walking around a closed business late at night and looking into the windows, he would be able to ask that person for his information.

.

Now then, if the officer was just randomly stopping people and requesting their information, there would be no legal requirement to comply and the person could refuse to cooperate and walk away. Please note though, it would not be unlawful for the officer to request the information in such a situation, it would only be unlawful for him to require it in such a situation.

.
I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on "OK", "Good" or "Excellent" service. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click on one of the positive indicators. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.
.
If you are not yet satisfied with my answer, please do not yet rate my service. Instead, please click on the "Reply to Expert" and let me know what else I can do for you. Please only rate my answer when you are fully satisfied.
.
Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.
.
Leaving a bonus is not required but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks for the answer i was walking my dog which i called and held during questioning i do this nightly in jogging pants i advised the officer that i lived in the only house on this end of the street and that i could retrieve id by simply walking fifty feet and knock on the door. I verified my address and am sitting there holding a 98 lb dog if these details still fit within the context of your answer please advise

As is often the case, I would suggest that this is a close call. If the area is properly lighted, you were walking in a normal fashion on the road or sidewalk and otherwise not doing anything one might consider suspicious, then I would suggest that the offer had not basis to require identification.

.

Conversely, if the area is dark, you were walking close to homes and doing anything that might be considered suspicious, then the officer likely would have had reasonable suspicion of criminal activity and would be permitted to require identification.

.
.
.
.