TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs

In 2009, while I was unemployed, my wife had an emergency and

In 2009, while I was unemployed, my wife had an emergency and was taken to Kaiser Hospital by an AMR ambulance. We applied for Medi-cal and were approved for this occuence. I had a share to pay and made arrangements with Kaiser to pay them my share of the bill. I spoke with AMR on the phone several times and sent them copies of the Medi-cal paperwork. Once I had fulfilled my payments to Kaiser, I sent a copy of a letter from Kaiser stating that I had paid my share. Kaiser assured me that they had submitted their bills to Medi-cal and received payment. Last time I communicated with AMR they said they would resubmit their bill to Medi-cal.
Yesterday, I received a letter from Elevate Recoveries asking for payment. They offered me a 'deal' to pay 'only' $1400 instead of $2000. I have 30 days to reply.
I am considering ignoring this. if they report me to the credit agencies I will dispue the claim.
Should I be concerned?
Elevate Recoveries has be licensed in texas for 3 months. AMR is known for turning people into collections even after payment.

Thank you for your question.

Can you tell me what state this question pertains to? (California, correct?)

Also, can you clarify whether you have made you have received any information from Medi-cal that it was going to cover the AMR costs?

Have you contact Medi-cal to obtain any information as to whether they actually made payments to AMR?

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
California. Yes. Medi-cal said they would pay. I do not know if they did pay. I can contact them.
That is the first thing I recommend you doing. Contact Medi-Cal and notify them that AMR is claiming that they have not been paid.

In the meantime, ignore the debt collector until you obtain the information as to whether AMR has been paid by Medi-Cal. You want Medi-Cal to send you something in writing stating that AMR has been paid in full.

Did you ever receive a bill or invoice from AMR when they originally provided services?

If so, how much was the total charge from AMR?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you.

I will get as much info from Medi-Cal as I can. AMR did bill me back in 2009 for $2010. I communicated with them sevarl times back then, The last I heard from AMR was that they were going to bill Medi-cal as I had met my obligation with Medi-Cal by paying a portion of Kaiser' bill. I will contcat Medi-cal about this. This is the first I have heard from anyone about this incident since 2009.

If Medi-Cal paid AMR back in 2009, I will report AMR to BBB and teh PUC as fraudulent billing seems to be a theme with them. I will verify payment first as a mistake by the State of California is not unheard of either.

Thank you again for the advice.

You bet. I'm glad to be able to help.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Best Regards,