Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

I have been contacted by the Pima County DAs office to testify

I have been contacted by the Pima County DA's office to testify in a murder case. I was never issued a subpoena, am I obligated to return their phone calls? I did answer some questions for them regarding the defendant when I lived and was working in Tucson via a phone request. I currently live outside of Phoenix and don't wish to go down there as I know nothing of the individual except,for the fact he worked for my company for a short time.
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
am I obligated to return their phone calls?
.
No, a private citizen is under no legal obligation to contact law enforcement personnel with regard to an investigation or prosecution of a case unless they have been formally ordered to by the judge with a summons or subpoena.
.
So if you don't want to call them back, there is nothing they can do except try to call again or get a subpoena to compel you to come to court.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.

Thanks so much for the positive rating and generous bonus, it is very much appreciated!

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. Please feel free to ask for me if you need help with anything in the future and I will do my level best to help or get you to someone who can.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
They are now threatening to have the judge issue a bench warrant to arrest me and force me to testify???
Technically, unless you have been subpoenaed, they can't get a judge to issue a warrant for your arrest. If they issue a subpoena and you ignore it, they can then get a judge to issue a bench warrant if they want to pursue this.
.
So at this point, they are just trying to scare you into returning to testify. Until you are actually served with a subpoena, you don't have any legal obligatio to appear.
.
.
Thanks