Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.

I accidentally left a registered firearm in a rental vehicle

I accidentally left a registered firearm in a rental vehicle and the police recovered it. The firearm is registered in va and I am currently living in ma. What kind of trouble could I be in since I neglected to register the FA in my current state. I do have a license to carry conceal in va.

TexLawyer :

Good evening. I'll be assisting you with your question.

TexLawyer :

Under Mass. Gen. Laws Ann. ch. 140, § 129C; ch. 269, § 10, you could face up to 2 years in jail and a fine up to $500.

Customer: Good evening
Customer: What should I do
TexLawyer :

Keep in mind, however, that the police would have to prove that it was you in possession of the firearm. Since they did not catch you with it on your person, that may be difficult to prove.

TexLawyer :

Have they contacted you about it?

Customer: No not yet but it just happened today
Customer: What is the legal definition of posessoon
TexLawyer :

You basically have two options: 1) abandon the firearm and don't respond if they contact you to come pick it up; or 2) pick it up and risk being charged, or at least questioned.

TexLawyer :

Possession is having care, custody or control over a thing.

TexLawyer :

A person can own a firearm and not necessarily be in possession of it. For example, if you loaned your gun to someone and they took it out of state where it was not registered, you still own it, but you weren't in possession of it when it was taken out of state.

Customer: ok. Thanks for the advice. You have answered my question
TexLawyer :

Glad to help.

TexLawyer :

Can I do anything else for you?

TexLawyer :

If so, feel free to ask follow up questions. If not, please remember to "rate" my answer before you go.

Hi, David. I just wanted to follow up with you and see how things with the police turned out. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.